- Collecting information,
- Sharing information,
- Mutual communication and deliberation,
- Participatory decision making, and
- Continuing evaluation and improvement of community engagement processes.
- It is a quick, safe and convenient way to have your say on a range of issues and topics.
- It is a great way to keep up to date and contribute your views on issues affecting your community.
- You can see what other community members think about an issue or topic, respond with your own views and engage in a discussion.
- You don't have to attend community meetings at a set place and time, you can contribute at a time and place that suits you.
- It allows for a range of different people, with different views to discuss matters that impact on their community.
What is community engagement?
'Community engagement' is about involving communities in councils decision making processes. Central to this is the willingness of both community and government to build ongoing, relationships contributing to a cycle which includes:
What are the advantages of engaging online?
How can I participate in the online consultations?
If you have not previously participated,simply click on the "Register" button at the top right hand of the page, when prompted create a USERNAME (Note: your comments will appear under your user name and you can comment anonymously through a username of your choice) create a PASSWORD of your choice provide a valid email address, your age, gender and the location in which you live.
If you have previously partcipated simply click on the "Sign In" function located on the right hand side of the top tool bar.
Is my privacy protected?
Yes! Your privacy is absolutely protected and Council will only use your email to contact you with updates and to invite you to participate in consultations. Your email address will not be distributed to any third party or used for any others purpose. We do not ask for your personal details or require them at any time as part of your participation. You may like to review our privacy statement for this site.
How are forum comments moderated?
All moderation is carried out by Bang the Table and all moderation is independent to Council. The moderators do not edit or alter any comments and will only remove comments deemed to be significantly off topic, offensive or malicious, in which case they are removed from the site immediately. Refer to the guidelines at the Moderation tab in the menu bar at the bottom of the page
I rarely use the internet – will Marion Matters mean I sometimes miss out on having my say?
Marion Matters provides council with an exciting new means for engaging with online local communities. It will be used to compliment and never replace traditional face to face consultation activities.
Consultation techniques such as workshops, displays, community conferences, forums, mail outs and the likes will still play an important part of supporting communities to have their say on council projects and decisions.