If I provide comment to Council do I need to appear before Council at a public meeting?

No. You may decide that written comment is sufficient for your needs. However, if you believe that you need to emphasise or expand on your comments by being heard at a public meeting, you will need to advise

What changes will occur at the subject facilities if the properties are rezoned to Community?

Very little will change. The types of future uses/buildings would be no different from those that are currently envisaged by Council and/or the clubs/groups using the facilities. The reason for a change to Community Zone/Recreation Policy Area is to provide a zone and associated policy that better reflects and facilitates the types of uses currently on the properties and/or those envisaged in the future.