What are the changes to commuter car parking surrounding the new Oaklands Station?
The Oaklands Station has redistributed car parking across all four quadrants of the station with pedestrian connections. Car parking is provided on Crozier Terrace, Murray Terrace, Railway Terrace and Addison Avenue. The Oaklands Crossing project has delivered an additional 50 car parks. An illustration of car parking changes is attached for reference.
The City of Marion are investigating technology solutions to support wayfinding and real time parking vacancy within the precinct.
What is the Oaklands Precinct upgrade?
The project provides a significant opportunity to connect the new railway station to the Marion Regional Centre through enhanced walking and cycling infrastructure, technology for car parking, lighting, play equipment and public park recreation and social gathering facilities.
What did we hear from the community consultation May 2019?
· Overall support of concept plan 91%
· Level of support for the proposed road closure 82%
· Support for playground and reserve development priorities for nature play, climbing and sliding, multi-purpose community court, running track and smart play
· Support for lighting that dims on and off with movement, energy generating material and powered benches
· Support for lawn and shaded areas with seating and picnic tables.
· Request for indented car parking along the northern edge of Dwyer Road Reserve
· Request for traffic and parking controls within the area to improve movement and reduce congestion. This is being investigated through technology solutions and wayfinding
· More trees to be planted attracting birds and insects.
Will a toilet be provided in the reserve development?
An exeloo toilet has been located to the south of the
station within 70 metre walking distance to the reserve. The design provides a
direct walking path between the facilities supported by signage.
What is a “Smart precinct”?
A smart precinct means Council uses technology and data to
provide services and facilities more effectively and innovatively.
What section of road is proposed to be closed?
Closure of Diagonal Way adjacent Dwyer Rd Reserve maintaining residential access with the creation of a cul-de-sac south of the reserve.
Will I be able to drive down my street?
The proposal is for vehicle access to Diagonal Way only from Crew Street
Who will be affected by these works?
A traffic impact statement has been developed as per attached.
When will these changes take place?
When consultation is complete we will then provide the feedback to our Elected Members for their consideration in their decision making. A Council meeting is scheduled for the middle of 2019 where they will be considering community feedback on the concept. Further engagement with stakeholders effected by the proposed road closures with run from 28 August to 25 September 2019.
How long will works take?
Dywer Road Reserve upgrade is scheduled to be completed by July 2020.
Diagonal Way to Crew Street works are subject to Road Closure (Roads Opening and Closing Act 1991) approvals. The current program is to construct these works late 2020.
What's happening next?
Further consultation with stakeholders effected runs from Wednesday 28 August to 25 September 2019. Council will receive a report in October 2019 on the proposed permanent road closure consultation.